Friday 20 September 2013

This is it!

This is it!

Today is the day I get my stem cells back.

My stem cells will navigate their way to where they need to be and begin to build a new immune system. Hopefully, one that doesn't remember MS.

So, how did we get here....

On Weds night we were admitted to have a Hickman Line placed early Thursday morning.

At almost midnight an Anaesthetist came in to see me asking can you sign the consent form for a general if needed. I was under the impression that this was a very simple procedure with a local.

He replies that sometimes it's awkward and a GA may be necessary to proceed.

OK, I sign the form.

7.30am Thursday morning I'm taken down for my procedure. In to a theatre with loads of staff. Silver, gleaming. I wasn't expecting any of this. The last one was done behind a curtain on the ward.

So they placed me on the theatre table and connected me to all sorts.

In goes the local and as it does I get this shock down my left arm. He'd hit a nerve! It bloody hurt..

I don't say anything because I just want to get out of there ASAP.
The Hickman Line goes in like a dream but my arm is getting progressively more numb.

Sods law, my arms are the only part of me that still work. My left arm flopping about like jelly on a plate.

Back in recovery the Dr comes to see me. So, it was a success and very easy in your case.

Not completely, you shot local straight in to a nerve and now my arms floppy. I demonstrate this by trying to grab it then realising it's hanging over the edge of the bed.

Ah, don't worry he says. The local will wear off. He was right. It took a few hours but it came back to me. Thankfully...

We move in to the Bone Marrow Transplant room that evening. Ready to start chemo on Friday 13th, can you believe?

Chemo starts and the first day is manageable but days 2,3,4 and 5 have me feeling as sick as a dog. Like morning sickness but worse. Smells, tastes. Everything making my stomach turn.

Not a very nice experience but no pain, no gain as the famous saying goes.

On Weds, my last chemo day I had the one that makes up the M part of the BEAM + ATG protocol. Melphalan. For this one I had to eat ice for 30 mins before, during the 30 min infusion and for 30 min after. This is because the drug can cause blisters on the mucous lining of your mouth and GI tract, so I'm told.

After, I had ATG. For this they wanted to give me a test dose first, it can cause rashes etc in people.

In me it caused a light head, a fainting episode and a bit of jerking thrown in for good measure. I came round to my mum frantically shaking my shoulders. I was blissfully unaware of the fuss I'd caused. The ATG went in no problems, at a much slower rate.

Thursday was a wash out day. Loads of fluids to try and get rid of excess chemo in my body.

I've learnt that I have a bladder the size of a balloon. Even being on a fluid drip all night long doesn't  bother me. I'll sleep right through til the next morning!

Which brings us to today, my new birthday! Friday 20th September. The day my stem cells set me up with a new immune system that will be MS free.

The next week will have pleasures in store. Fevers, vomiting, diarrhoea as my old immune system is completely eradicated. Blood work numbers will drop and plateau.

Then, like a Phoenix rising from the flames my new immune system will show signs of flourishing.

Hope it happens soon because I want to go home!

UPDATE!!!  My stem cells are safely back inside me. Lots of positive thoughts please for a fast engraftment (when the new immune system begins)...

No comments:

Post a Comment