Tuesday 10 September 2013

A rite of passage..

Since leaving the hospital on Saturday I've really been captive in the hotel again. But, compared to being in that room it feels like a few days on the coast!

We've met a lovely lady from Australia who's here with her husband. She's making her way through her own HSCT journey but it's great to compare notes.

It's nice to be able to disseminate some information. It's becoming clear that the staff here at Manipal are learning all the time. If things go to plan I could turn this whole thing round in 7 weeks! I may be getting ahead of myself a bit here but that's what I'm aiming for.

The weather in Bangalore is damp and grey in the main. You could even call it chilly last night. It's just like being at home.

We've been  having lessons on Hindu Gods from the hotel staff. I particularly like Lord Krishna.



This God had circa 16000 wives. You'd have to be a God to get round that lot!

Most men I know would say one's enough!

Local people have been getting excited about the Hindu festival of Ganesh Chaturthi. These statues are all over the place at the minute. I so wish I could get out and about and walk among it all. Such a colourful religion. There were real celebrations in Bangalore yesterday.




Raja, our taxi driver has even had the audacity to go on a mini pilgrimage to wash in the water of a special temple. We're lost without him. He worships at this temple because it is related to an important God. He said he'd also pray for me going in to isolation. This is a rite of passage for Raja, something that leads to purification of the soul.

I've still got that sick feeling..

You know that anxious one you get when you know some things are coming up and you're not quite sure how you are going to handle them.

My gorgeous significant other Paul has put together some visualization techniques for me to calm myself down. I'm working hard on them.

All these religious teachings had me thinking about my own rites of passage. Not in terms of purifying my soul although may be that wouldn't be a bad thing...

My rite of passage to motherhood was 4o weeks of pregnancy; my rite of passage to adulthood was turning 18 and going in to a pub!

My rite of passage to HSCT is..... GOING BALD!




It's not the best picture but I hope you get the idea. Mum was worried I'd find it difficult but it's strangely liberating. It's my rite of passage. It means that I'm moving on and isolation is a stones throw away.

The plan is for the new central line on Thursday and in to isolation on Friday to begin the real arse kicking chemo..

It's almost time to say sayonara MS. You're about to be nuked in to oblivion. You're disappearing forever but my hair will grow back.

I fancy curls this time....






No comments:

Post a Comment